Wednesday, March 02, 2005

A Beautiful Day for Edamame

Welcome to my new blog! I was having so many technical difficulties with my old blog, I decided me and my blog would go shopping for a new home. I like blogger. Blogger seems so reliable. Simple. Easy to use. Hooray blogger!

I will also attempt to bring as much of my old blog with me as I can (the recipes, for certain -- I know how much you all like the recipes!) but I can't make many promises -- my old blog seems to have mysteriously disappeared. If it mysteriously reappears, I will copy and paste accordingly. Here's hoping . . . .

The other thing I like about blogger is that you get to title your blogs. I think that's cool.

SO! This afternoon during group time, I mentioned to the children we would have only a short time to play outdoors because our cooking project took such a long time. (We made bread pudding -- fabulous! I'll post the recipe later, because it's in the staff cookbook at work.) One of the children looked at me with a sad, slightly forlorn look on his face and said protestingly, "but -- but -- it's so BEAUTIFUL outside!" What a sweetheart. And it was, indeed, a beautiful day.

I made fabulous dinner, which was inspired by a chance encounter I had with a partial bag of frozen edamame in the freezer at work very early this morning. I thought, "well, edamame! Yum! I haven't had edamame in a long time!" So, I thought up this tasty concoction while sitting in rush hour traffic on my way home:

1. Melt 1/2 tsp butter with 1/2 tsp olive oil. Sweat 1 clove garlic, minced, 1/4 a small onion, sliced, and 1/2 a small zucchini, chopped, until translucent. Stir in 1 cup shelled frozen edamame and a good pinch of kosher salt. Cook until the edamame are completely thawed.
2. Stir in 1/2 cup chicken broth and bring to a boil. Stir in 1/3 cup uncooked couscous, put a lid on it, and cut the heat. Let stand 5 minutes.
3. Finish with a dash of cayenne pepper and the leaves from 1 stalk fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped. (And a squeeze of lemon would have been nice at this point, too, but I'm currently lemonless.)

I said more before in my magically disappearing blog, but I've gotta run -- choir's in an hour and I still have to shower. Until tomorrow, folks!

1 comment:

Catherine Weber said...

I'm so sorry for that silly rhyme at the end. Completely unintentional, my friends!