Thursday, May 19, 2005

dinner and a movie

Ann came over for supper before we went for a walk downtown. (Lots of people looked at me strangely -- it could have been the CamelBak, or it could have been the Wonder Woman t-shirt!) Regardless, this is what we had:

Mashed Sweet Potatoes

Peel and chunk a large sweet potato. Boil until fork-tender (the sweet potato slides off the fork easily when you spear it.) Drain. Add about two teaspoons of sugar in the raw, a tablespoon or less of butter, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Whip with an electric mixer. Add enough half and half (a tablespoon or so) just until it thins out and gets all creamy and tasty.

Brown Rice and Lentils (4 servings)

Saute a small onion, diced, a clove of garlic, minced, and a medium green pepper, diced, in some extra virgin olive oil. Add 1/2 cup small dried lentils, rinsed and drained, and 1/2 cup brown Basmati rice. Add about 2 cups liquid (vegetable or chicken broth would be best!) and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 50 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in 1 can diced tomatoes (or less -- I used part of my can for lunch already today!), drained, and salt and pepper to taste.

Jon-O-Meter rating (for both): 0! (Will Jon eat lentils??)

I watched "Spanglish" tonight. I had forgotten how much I love that movie! I may end up having to buy myself a copy.

No comments: