Monday, January 23, 2006

butter bomb

So, I came home from work tonight and thought, "wouldn't it be nice to have fettuccine alfredo for dinner?" So, I whipped out Joy of Cooking . . .

It told me to use:
1 stick of butter
1 cup of heavy cream
1 cup of grated fresh parmesan cheese
salt and pepper

Simple enough . . . but I'm not really prepared to have a heart attack tonight, so I edited it a bit. Not only did I significantly reduce the amount of butter (well, Earth Balance,) I used soy milk instead of the cream, added some onions and garlic at the beginning, and a huge handfull of fresh spinach and a small handfull of grape tomatoes at the end, as well as a few leftover strips of roasted red pepper.

I love one-bowl suppers. And I love them even better when they are pasta covered in a somewhat healthy, creamy sauce.

No comments: