Tuesday, March 28, 2006

experiment = success!

I made a VERY experimental dinner, and it turned out wonderfully!

First, I started a bunch of kale. (I sauteed garlic and onion in canola oil until soft, then sauteed the kale for a few minutes before adding a cup of veg broth, bringing the kale to a boil, reducing the heat, covering the pan, and simmering for 20 minutes.)

Next, I started a pot of whole wheat spaghetti. (Bionaturae is my brand of choice.)

Finally, I combined about a half a cup of leftover, homemade refried beans, about a half a cup of Muir Glen fire roasted tomato pasta sauce, a heaping teaspoon of nutritional yeast, and a big splash, (oh, let's say, a couple of tablespoons) of soy milk, and warmed and stirred this odd sauce.

When the pasta was finished cooking, I drained it and tossed it with the sauce. Then I topped the pasta with the kale.

It's not much to look at, but it tastes pretty darn good! It mostly just tastes like pasta with red sauce and greens. It looks somewhat like a "meat" sauce, and has a bit earthier flavor, obviously. Hm! I may have to remember this one for the next time I have leftover refried beans, and don't feel like a quesadilla.

2 comments:

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

This sounds great, and really what isn't with Fire Roasted tomatoes? I love those things. I do a similar dish with a can of fire roasted tomatoes and spinach, so good too!

Catherine Weber said...

I think roasting anything over a fire makes it extra-tasty. Mmmmm . . . !!!

I was just so puzzled by how well the refried beans and pasta sauce went together. Huh!