Monday, March 26, 2007

Swedish Fish are evil.

Why? Because I love them so darn much, I can eat nearly an entire package in one sitting, and then feel considerably ill later. Alas.

Anyhow, two meals of note, of late:

Last night, I got home from work around 7, ate some leftover risotto, and got to work on the laundry. And then . . . I watched Oliver pee in Dan's duffel bag. ARGH! So, lots and lots more laundry later, 11:45 rolled around and I hadn't had dinner yet. Conveniently, neither had Dan when he arrived shortly after midnight, so a quick dinner of some whole wheat & potato gnocchi with porcini mushroom tomato sauce and shaved romano cheese, and a delicious side salad were quickly prepared by yours truly. Gnocchi are tasty . . . and an incredible timesaver. Whew!
example

I finally made myself a portobello mushroom "burger" for lunch today. I cleaned a cap, scooped out the stem and gills, marinaded it in a simple balsamic vinaigrette (balsamic vinegar, extra-virgin olive oil, dijon mustard, salt, pepper, and dried fines herbes,) broiled it on both sides, topped it with a slice of muenster cheese, and added a toasted bun, some vegenaise, spinach, and sliced tomato to the sandwich party. (Side of Asian pear.) This will definitely be a repeat visitor at my house!
example

Off to nurse the Swedish Fish-full belly now . . . ugh. (You'd think I'd know better by now!)

8 comments:

MeloMeals said...

Lovely pic of the burger.
I have a love/hate relationship with portabellas.

Anonymous said...

Your "burger" looks great! I love Asian pears.

I have the same problem with medjool dates that you have with Swedish fish...I always eat too many! I don't even buy them anymore--I know myself too well!

Hope your tummy feels better soon!
Courtney

bazu said...

I know what you mean about the swedish fish- they just have such an intriguing texture, your mouth wants just one more. and one more. and another... I'm the same way about sour patch kids! I eat them 'til the acid wears away the skin of my mouth!

Love the picture of the burger. Hey, I have a cooking question. I've seen on your blog and a couple of other blogs that people take out the gills before cooking portabellas- why is that?

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

sorry about dan's duffel bag, but i bet the gnocchi & colorful salad made up for it! i want to make your no knead bread -- it looks so good. :o)

Carrie™ said...

Gnocchi looks great as does the salad. I've tried mushrooms time & time again, but alas, I just can't get a taste for them. *sigh* I feel like a freak.

Michelle said...

Oliver cracks me up! He's so sassy and has a lot of moxie.

KleoPatra said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm... that burger looks SOOOOOOOOOO good, Catherine! I love the ingredients and also the Asian pear on the side. Yummy altogether!

Anonymous said...

the food looks very good! hope by now your tummy are ok :)