Saturday, June 27, 2009

Daring Bakers' Challenge -- Bakewell Tart

The June Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Jasmine of Confessions of a Cardamom Addict and Annemarie of Ambrosia and Nectar. They chose a Traditional (UK) Bakewell Tart... er... pudding that was inspired by a rich baking history dating back to the 1800's in England.

Slice of pie, er tart, er pudding, er, whatever:
example

I must confess, I just wan't "into" this month's challenge -- June sort of got away from me fairly quickly, and I ended up looking up and completing this challenge under the wire -- I literally took the tart out of the oven a couple of hours ago! I found the pastry and frangipane easy enough to work with, and enjoyed putting to use some of the delicious strawberry jam I made yesterday, but I was not wowwed with my results. I pulled the tart out of the oven six minutes earlier than the recipe suggested, since my crust was WAY overbrown, and the frangipane was also puffed and very dark golden brown. Little did I know . . . the middle was still undercooked, as you can see in my picture. Also, this treat is just too rich and sweet for me -- I'll probably take the rest to work tomorrow, and let my food snob coworkers polish it off. :)

Can't win 'em all, I guess!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bummer! Well, I'd probably still eat it - and it looks yummy.

aTxVegn said...

Yeah, this wasn't my type of dessert either. I'll take good ol' American Apple Pie any day.

Judy's Nutrition said...

Ah for every few great dishes, there has to be a flop - it keeps the universe in balance :)