Sunday, August 02, 2009

bluff country!

We're home from Dan's birthday camping weekend, and we had a great time! Before talking about the actual camping, let's talk about getting ready to go camping -- a lot of work, I must confess, but also, every time we go it gets a little bit easier. We keep all of our camping gear in a couple of tubs in our basement storage locker, so all we really need to do to pack is "grab-n-go," plus pack our clothes and food. I also keep a running list of gear we need saved on the computer, so it only needs to be slightly updated each time.

All of that prep work (including the mini lemon tarts I made for Dan's birthday treat) was wonderfully worth it! We had a great weekend hiking and relaxing at Great River Bluffs State Park, located in southeastern MN along the Mississippi River, in bluff country. What a beautiful park! It seemed as though every time we took a short path off into the woods, we were met with beautiful views! We were practically tripping over "scenic overlooks." We also spent a half-day picnicking and hiking at Beaver Creek Valley state park, and took a beautiful, scenic drive through rural southern Minnesota. We found tons of "wild edibles" on our hikes, including apples, blackberries, raspberries, and plums, but most were still underripe -- we did enjoy a very modest blackberry harvest at one point, but everything else we left on the branch or bush. I also photographed many gorgeous wildflowers, which I'm too tired to take the time to identify tonight, but I'm sure you'll forgive me. :)

I'm going to forego narration, and let the photos speak for themselves:

example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example
example

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful pics! I'm going camping soon and I'm exciteda bout the food. tehehe

Emily said...

such pretty pictures!

Lauren said...

Man, I miss seeing those bluffs everyday!

Anonymous said...

Wow--those ARE gorgeous photos! I hope Dan had a very happy birthday weekend :-)

Courtney