Sunday, August 16, 2009

pizza + watermelon = mmmmmmm.

example
Another pizza? So soon? Why yes, since I had a handfull of miscellaneous veggies to use up, a partial block of cheese leftover, and especially since I only enjoyed TWO SLICES from the last pizza I made! (Dan ate leftovers for dinner when I was out with friends. Drat!)

Artisan Bread crust again, topped with a homemade 5-minute tomato sauce (more on that in a moment,) mozzarella, parmesan, red onion, spinach, and kalamata olives. Another glorious oven achievement on my part, despite the heat. I've been cutting down on the cheese I use on pizzas lately, (you know, that pesky budget and all,) and I think I like a slightly less cheesy pie -- you can taste all of the other ingredients more, and the crust doesn't get as "well done" in order to brown the mountain of mozzarella! Everybody wins!

Oh, and that 5-minute tomato sauce? Why the heck have I been buying jarred sauce all these years??!?!?!! This sauce was amazing on pizza, and I can't wait to try it on some whole-wheat spirals tomorrow night for dinner. I found this recipe on a budgeting website on the internet, and edited it only minorly, reducing the amount of red pepper flakes. Here's my version:

Saute together:
1/4 cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp salt

Add:
28 oz crushed tomatoes
zest of one lemon

Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat until the sauce thickens slightly.

And, I know what you're thinking . . . lemon? Yes, yes, yes! This is the most amazing, fantastic addition ever! Wahoo! So delicious.

5 comments:

jd said...

That pizza looks superb!

And watermelon? Always a plus in my book!

As for that 5-minute pizza sauce, you wouldn't believe it, but I just made a similar one on Saturday night... I didn't use lemon zest, but it actually sounds like a great, fresh addition!

Vic Robinson said...

I love the fact that I dont need to give up pizza to be vegan. The cheese options that have come out in the last 4 years have been amazing!

Anonymous said...

That yellow watermelon is calling my name...yum! Very refreshing in our humidity, I am sure :-)

Courtney

Crystal said...

You got me! I was totally thinking "lemon???" and then I scrolled down and you knew just what I was thinking. Ha!

Tell me again, what kind of container do you use to store your dough in the fridge?

aTxVegn said...

What a pretty yellow watermelon! I agree that less cheese is best on pizza. I can't wait to try lemon in tomato sauce. I usually add wine or red wine vinegar, but lemon sounds great too!