Sunday, January 17, 2010

bread & more whole grains!

I've been on a "more whole grains" mission lately -- resultingly, a lot of oatmeal for breakfast. Oatmeal never does look like much, does it?

This was an awesome bowl yesterday morning, despite its appearance -- regular ol' rolled oats made with soymilk, containing ground flax seeds, unsweetened coconut, and chopped dried apricots! Yum.

Mysterious sideways naan:

I promise blogger did this for me. :) Not a whole grain, but damn tasty! Lump #3 of the "Olive Oil Dough," and even though we smoked the heck out of the apartment and set off the fire alarm, a tasty use for the dough!

We served the naan with some potato, tomato, and spinach dal:

ANOTHER shout out to Dan's Aunt Mary! Last time we saw them, she forced us into an Indian grocery store and bought us curry leaves, asafoetida, (I just know I didn't spell that correctly,) and a couple of spice mixtures to lend more authenticity to my homemade dal. Thanks, Mary! This was the best batch yet!! (I'm all for "forced" shopping any time!)

AND, more bread baking this afternoon:

Sometimes, you just need a basic sandwich loaf. I've made this recipe before with good results, and was pleasantly surprised that it even froze well! (Hence, two loaves.) I used agave this time instead of honey, and smartly turned the oven down 25 degrees to prevent over-browning. Success! I'm trying really hard NOT to hack into one of these loaves right now while they are still warm . . . !!!!!!

1 comment:

Vic Robinson said...

sideways nan and your dal looks soooo good!