Saturday, January 23, 2010

dinner and dessert, plus yoga update

I spent a good chunk of today in my kitchen, (wee!), getting busy prepping ingredients, marinades, bread doughs, etc. for our upcoming week's meals. Result?

Fajitas for dinner!

Whole-wheat tortillas stuffed with queso fresco, chipotle-lime marinaded tempeh, peppers, and onions, fresh tomatoes, guacamole, lettuce, and salsa. YUM! I didn't eat much for lunch today, so I enjoyed seconds of this fantastic dinner!

AND, gigantic cookies for dessert!

Every once in a while, I want to exercise my "lazy" bones and make gigantic cookies, just so I don't have to pull quite so many trays in and out of the oven.

And, for the record, this is the best oatmeal cookie recipe EVER, gigantic or normal-sized! Here goes . . .

Best Ever Oatmeal Cookies

Cream together:
1 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar

Beat in:
2 eggs

Combine, then stir into above:
2 cups regular rolled oats
2 cups AP flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 1/2 cups "stuff" (I used 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut, 2/3 cup dried cranberries, 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, and 3/4 cup chocolate chips.)

To make giant cookies, I used my #16 disher and scooped them out in about 1/4-cup mounds, then pressed them flat with the palm of my hand. Baked for about 13 minutes at 375, and I had (about 20) awesome cookies to rival any coffee shop!

~~~~~~~~~~

Just a quick update on my New Year's resolutions -- I'm remembering to take my vitamin most days, (Dan usually still has to remind me,) we have a permanent large container of ground flax seeds that now live in our refrigerator, and the yoga is going well, as you can see from my sidebar. I'm enjoying committing that time each week, and I think what is helping the most is I set a VERY reasonable goal -- about 60 minutes per week, for 50 of the 52 weeks this year. I'm all about making lifestyle changes, instead of setting unrealistic goals that I'll give up on too quickly!

How are your New Year's resolutions going, if you made any?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha--EVERY time I make cookies I "exercise my lazy bones" because I always make cookies bigger so that I don't have to wait around and keep scooping...

Courtney