Saturday, March 13, 2010

weird week.

It's been kind of a weird week. I had all sorts of funny, little things that changed my schedule this week, (dentist appointment, errands, etc.), attended a funeral on Friday afternoon for a fellow choir member who passed away several weeks ago, and also found out that my grandma died on Thursday night -- the funeral is next week, and Dan and I will be out of town for a couple days for it.

Consequently, when things get a little crazy, some of the normal parts of life go on hold -- like cooking. :) We had a lot of salad/pita/hummus dinners this week, and also went out for dinner on Thursday night! Crazy! I did manage to cook a couple of simpler meals, though:

An old standby, coconut curry:

This truly never gets old, and I'm starting to realize the importance of recipes like this in the repertoire. You can put any veggies and/or protein with the simple sauce of 1 can coconut milk, 2 tablespoons each soy sauce, curry paste, and brown sugar, and voila! Instant curry deliciousness!

Another not-quite-as-frequent repeat, but definitely a favorite:

Fried rice! I think everyone loves fried rice from the Chinese restaurant, but really, you haven't had fried rice until you make it yourself. I always scramble a couple of eggs, scoop them out of the pan, cook up some garlic and ginger in peanut oil, then throw in any veggies that need to cook, the rice, the rest of the veggies that just need to be warmed, soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, and that's it! Tasty and easy. :)

I'm very glad I took the time to cook up THREE cups of dry brown rice last weekend, because it sure came in handy!

No comments: