Friday, August 13, 2010

more tasty food

Even though our refrigerator is practically bursting with leftovers, I decided to cook again last night . . . I had prepped two packages of tempeh earlier in the week, and since they had been sitting in their marinade for four days now, I figured it was about time to cook 'em up!

Dinner last night:

"Hot Sauce-Glazed Tempeh" and "Messy Rice," both from VCON, and a side of Lemony Coleslaw with Fresh Dill, from Vegetarian Times. Of course, I can't ever leave well enough alone, so I added some sliced green onions to the coleslaw recipe, (I think green onions are the BEST addition to most slaws,) and I nervously substituted ketchup for the tomato paste in the rice recipe. My jar of tomato paste was very fuzzy when I opened it up earlier this week, and I dug and dug and dug through my cupboards with no luck. :( Enter, ketchup. I was super worried that the rice would be "ketchupy," but luckily, it was just fine. Whew! Good to know for next time, eh? The tomato paste is still better, (brings more flavor and color to the rice,) but ketchup will work in a pinch.

By the way . . . this slaw is FANTASTIC. For dill fans only, since the recipe calls for a whole cup, but it is so simple, refreshing, and flavorful! Mmmmmmmm!

1 comment:

tweal said...

Yum, yum, yum - you make that look and sound so good, and I don't even like tempeh! And the pasta salad in the post below looks divine, I am so hungry now and I wish I could just order food off your blog!!