Thursday, September 23, 2010

sickie-poo

It's been a rough month at our house, as far as physical health is concerned. My allergies hit hard starting at the beginning of August, then Dan managed to come down with walking pneumonia mid-August. He started feeling better around Labor Day weekend, and had a full week's worth of health before coming down with his first cold of the season. Ack! Recently, all of my kids at work seem to have the sniffles -- allergies or a cold, who knows?

I think my immune system finally gave up. Between the ragweed siege, fighting pneumonia germs/virus, and the recent colds, I'm finally . . . SICK. Dude, I haven't been sick in, like, three years! I have a cold! What the heck!

Since it's been so long since I've been sick, I'm not even sure what to do! I mean, fluids, rest, whatever, but is there something I'm forgetting? How do you get better when you are feeling under the weather?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rest, fluids and good nutrition are the biggies. Hope you're feeling better soon!!

Anonymous said...

Oh I know exactly what you mean - I haven't been sick in a very long time, not even the sniffles then this summer I got struck down by strep throat and a cold and now I have a cold again! I can't believe it - I blame it on the kids.

My trick for keeping the colds away (or lately for fighting them!) is vitamin D and lots of fresh garlic. I make either pico de gallo and/or guacamole with extra garlic. You stink for a few days but it seems to work. I also have the recipe for the "Cure what ails you garlic soup" from La Dolce Vegan but I haven't tried it yet. I'll let you know when I do!

Try to get some extra rest this weekend and hopefully your feeling better soon!

radioactivegan said...

Super garlicky soup! Or lentil/kale soup like this one: http://theradioactivegan.blogspot.com/2009/10/miracle-soup-itll-cure-what-ails-ya.html

Crystal said...

Oh, Catherine, I hope you get better soon!

I tend to eat A LOT when sick. I'll make spaghetti with lots of garlic bread and then somehow be able to eat a ton more.

Emily said...

Oh that is not fun! I hope you feel better soon!
I drink tea like there is no tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

I hope you feel better soon! You poor thing...you are surrounded by sick people/kids all day--no wonder you finally got sick :-(

I always have soup and tea when I am sick, unless my throat is hurting in which case I want really cold/frozen things to help numb it. I hope you find something that works for you!

Let me know if there is anything I can do or if you need anything :-)

Courtney