Saturday, October 09, 2010

healthy & satisfying

After a long, stressful week, Dan and I were due a healthy, satisfying dinner last night! Thankfully, we had tons of food in the house, and dinner was pretty quick to the table:

"Seasoned Tempeh," from Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home, oven-roasted green beans, and garlic-mashed potatoes with homemade mushroom gravy. This entire meal was spectacular, if I do say so myself, but the gravy took it over the top. Hands-down the best gravy I've ever made. What did I do?

Mushroom Gravy
yield: about 2 1/2 cups

Melt together:
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil

Cook in the butter/oil:
about 8 ounces of sliced white button mushrooms

Add:
1/4 cup AP flour
black pepper
dried thyme (a few dashes)
And cook for about 2 minutes

Stir in:
2 tsp soy sauce
2 cups mushroom broth (I used commercially-prepared, but you could use homemade, too.)
Slowly bring the gravy to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook for a couple of minutes until thick. Serve over mashed potatoes, tempeh, etc.

~~~~~~~~~~

Happy weekend, everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I *love* gravy--I can't wait to try your recipe!

Courtney