Friday, February 04, 2011

a very satisfying dinner

I managed to slip out of work a few minutes early tonight, which means I caught a slightly earlier bus and got home about fifteen minutes earlier than usual -- wahoo! Dan had band practice tonight, so I used my extra time to get a few things done in the kitchen, and fix us a delicious Friday night meal!

The first course . . .

Whole-wheat spaghetti topped with homemade marinara and "Nate's Meatless Meatballs." I'm not big on processed foods in general, but we REALLY like these. They are kind of expensive, so I don't really buy them, unless there's a coupon in the co-op circular. (Which reminds me . . . I never got my circular in the mail from the Wedge! I grabbed one at Mississippi Market during my break, though, so I guess I didn't miss out!)

And, the second course . . .

Caesar salad! With homemade dressing! I used the recipe from Veganomicon, (which is AMAZING, by the way,) and then promptly un-veganized it by adding some shaved parmesan and croutons. This was SOOOOOOOOO good, and definitely a big treat for us! Yum yum yum.

I also marinaded some tempeh tonight, to fry up and go on more caesar salad to turn it into work lunches for me this week. Mmmm! Have you ever tried the "Seasoned Tempeh" from Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home? It is seriously my favorite tempeh marinade ever, so flavorful yet basic, it seems to go with just about everything. Every cook who likes tempeh should have this recipe in his/her repertoire! Go find the cookbook at a bookstore and jot down the ingredients on the back of a reciept or something . . . be sneaky and enjoy tempeh!

HAPPY WEEKEND! WAHOO!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay for getting out of work early!

I have always wondered about those Meatless Balls...good to know that they are tasty.

Courtney