Wednesday, April 06, 2011

a favorite lunch

I like to believe that I'm some sort of lunch-packing pro. You see, I pack a lunch every single day without fail, due to the nature of my job -- I eat with the kids, so there's no time whatsoever to go out and pick anything up, so I must pre-plan. Typically, I have leftovers from dinners over the week for lunch, but every once in a while, I make something special just for my lunches -- ingredients for fancy green salads, pasta salads, special sandwich spreads, etc., and then I look forward to lunch even more!

Today, I have one of my all-time favorite lunches packed up and ready to go:

This may seem super weird to some, but trust me -- it's really, really good! I top a baked sweet potato with a pinch of salt and a few dashes of chili powder, some cooked black beans, steamed broccoli, salsa, and shredded cheese. Colorful, healthy, fiber-rich, a variety of textures and flavors, pretty much everything one would want in a packed lunch!

Baked sweet potatoes are one of my favorite avenues for healthy meals, actually -- I find they are also REALLY good topped with leftover chili. What's your favorite baked sweet potato topping! (I'm going to need to be eating a LOT more sweet potatoes, since I bought ten pounds at Costco!)

3 comments:

MeloMeals said...

that looks so good.. I love sweet potatoes too

Anonymous said...

I am really trying to like baked sweet potatoes more, but it's a slow process. I like sweet potato fries, but the texture of baked sweet potatoes along with the taste isn't my favorite. Can we still be friends? :)

ps - I"m headed to Costco today. We'll see how much produce I can buy....

Melissa said...

yum! At first I thought that was black olives, but when I saw that it was black beans I got excited!
I love putting leftover chili on a baked potato, so now I want to try it on a sweet potato. Thanks for the idea!