Monday, April 16, 2012

chop-chop!

Work has been hectic lately, and on more than one occasion in the past few weeks, I've found myself with little to no time to eat, collect, and/or heat up my lunch.  (The toddlers keep me busy!)  I'm aiming for something quick and simple this week, that doesn't require heating -- enter the Greek Chopped Salad!
Cucumber, yellow bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, chickpeas, olives, artichokes, and feta, dressed in a creamy vinaigrette made from red wine vinegar, olive oil, a little mayo, salt, pepper, and dried oregano.  I had a bowlful for dinner tonight as a "preview," and let's just say, I'm excited for lunch tomorrow!  I'll smear a wholegrain pita with some hummus in the morning, and be good to go.

Any other brilliant make-ahead, easy cold lunch ideas?  My other alternate for this week is egg salad on Dr. Kracker flatbreads.  (I can't STAND packed sandwiches, as they get soggy.  Is that weird?)  I should spend some time next weekend looking through Lunches, Picnics, and Appetizers for more ideas, too.  That's one of those cookbooks I forget I own, and then have an "oh, YEAH!" moment, and get excited for it all over again.  ;)

2 comments:

Ali said...

This salad looks delicious. I have been so completely uninspired by food for weeks and appreciate your posts lately. It's nice to see all the great food you continue to crank out of your kitchen!
Ali

Anonymous said...

Yum! I take it you got the necessary note from your doctor, lol ;-)

Make ahead cold lunch ideas? Hummus (with anything! Crackers, raw veggies, pita, etc.), falafel (I actually like them cold), pasta salad, bean based salads, cold pizza, marinated tofu, artichokes (SO good cold, but not all that fast to eat with the kids), and, of course, good old PB and J :-)

Courtney