YIELD: 4 quart-sized salads
- 1/4 c mayonnaise
- 1/4 c finely-grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs, hard-boiled, peeled, and quartered
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, grilled or roasted
- 2 bunches kale, stemmed and thinly sliced
- edible flowers (optional)
- 1 cup croutons
- Make the caesar dressing: combine the mayonnaise, parmesan, lemon juice, olive oil, mustard, worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper in a pint-sized mason jar. Puree and emulsify the dressing using a handheld stick blender. (Alternately, puree and emulsify the dressing ingredients in a blender or mini food processor.)
- Pack the salads: divide the dressing evenly among 4 tall quart-sized containers. Layer the onion, egg, chicken, kale, and edible flowers (if using) in the jars. Divide the croutons evenly among 4 snack-size zip-top bags for each salad. Refrigerate until serving.
- Enjoy your salad: invert your salad onto a plate or into a bowl. Top with croutons.
TIME-SAVING TIPS: Substitute your favorite prepared caesar-style dressing for the homemade dressing Substitute 10 oz pre-washed baby kale for the regular kale.
SPECIAL DIET SWAPS: For a vegetarian salad, omit the chicken, increase the hard-boiled eggs to 4, and use vegan worcestershire sauce in the dressing. For a vegan salad, make all of the vegetarian swaps, plus substitute your favorite vegan mayo and vegan parmesan crumbles in the dressing, and grilled or broiled tofu for the hard-boiled egg. For a gluten-free salad, omit the croutons or make homemade croutons from your favorite gluten-free bread, and use dressing ingredients labeled gluten-free. This salad is nut-free as-is.
Food styling, photography, and infographics by Robert Campbell.